The Old Stable Cottage
The Old Stable Cottage, Crackpot
Welcome to the Old Stable, our cottage in the quiet hamlet of Crackpot, upper Swaledale. Whatever the season, upper Swaledale is a place of beauty and interest. It continues to stimulate artists and invites contemplation, exploration and play.Enjoy magnificent sunrises & sunsets, clear starry night skies, bright reflective winter snow and the variety of the natural & man-made dales landscape. We offer 2 bedroomed self-catering accommodation, originally built as a seed store & stable and added in the 1830's to what was then known as Crackpot Farm.
The Old Stable is an ideal base for exploring upper Swaledale & beyond, by bike, foot or car. We are close to the Coast to Coast route.
The cottage has:
- Views to the landscape beyond, the best views being from the Living room and Main bedroom.
- Plenty of room indoors and the use of a small garden, visited by wildlife, enlivened by birdsong & some surprising plants.
- Calm decor with modern and traditional furniture, a solid fuel stove to keep you cosy, comfy beds (plus cot at no extra charge).
- On site parking for 1 car & covered bike storage available (please let us know when booking if you would like to use the store).
- Freesat TV, Wifi , DVD, iPod dock & central heating throughout the cottage
We don't allow smoking in the cottage. Dog owners may bring a small to medium size dog with them (no extra charge but please read the section YOUR STAY before booking).
The minimum length of stay is 3 nights. Currently we are offering 2 nights stays in low season at a 10% reduction on the 3 night rate). For stays longer than 14 nights we may be able to offer reductions to our rates (the maximum length of stay is 30 nights).
Please feel free to contact us if you have any queries before booking.
You will find sufficient washing up liquid, kitchen towels, film and foil, soap & toilet paper to last the first couple of days of your stay. We also provide
- Complimentary starter pack of sticks, logs & coal.
- A Visitors Information Pack - for services in the house lots of advice about local activities, attractions & events, eating out & shopping.
- Please note we are about 5 miles away from the nearest shop & about 2 miles away from the nearest pub serving food.
Bed linen, towels & tea towels are provided. Please note....
- We don't iron any linen.
- Please bring your own baby towels & cot bedding if you wish to use the cot.
Water supply & drainage
- The cottage is supplied by well water. This is treated by an ultra violet filter & is pleasantly free from chlorine.
- We ask that you are careful not to waste water. Drainage is via a private waste disposal system.
- There is a garden for your use during your stay.
- Please note the garden is not fully enclosed & there are some steep unfenced drops of about 1.5 metres so take care, use the garden at your own risk & supervise dogs and children.
- One well behaved small to medium sized dog welcome.
“Everything we needed for a self-catering holiday”
Lovely cottage for a small family holiday. We loved the Wensleydale Show , Reeth Museum and the Reeth Ice Cream shop.
Highly recommended as a lovely place for a couple or small family to stay! The cottage was very nicely appointed and decorated, warm and cosy with comfy beds, all kitchen supplies needed, plenty of space, Netflix and beautiful views down the Dale.
The location was brilliant; just driving around the area was a treat with stunning scenery everywhere we went, good pubs and cafes with home made food and good service.
Our baby hates showers so that was the only downside for us but otherwise things were pretty baby-friendly.
The owners were friendly and helpful and we appreciated the welcome pack including some delicious Wenslydale cheese.